Exercise Physiology (EP) interventions help to prevent and manage acute, sub-acute or chronic diseases or injuries. It is the use of tailored exercise and education to restore physical function, health or wellness. It also includes discussion of lifestyle modification, with a strong focus on achieving behavioural change.
What health conditions can an EP help with?
- Cardiovascular disease including Myocardial Infarction (heart attack), Angina, Controlled Heart Failure, Coronary Artery Disease, Ischemic Heart Disease, Pacemaker & Heart Failure
- Pulmonary disease including asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Metabolic disease including type 2 diabetes
- Neurological diseases including epilepsy, dementia, stroke, headache, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and traumatic brain injuries
- Musculoskeletal diseases including arthritis, osteoporosis/osteopenia, acute and/or chronic musculoskeletal conditions
- Depression and other mental health conditions
What to expect from an appointment with an EP:
- Assessments of functional capacity
- Advice on lifestyle modifications to improve health status
- Exercise prescription for strength and function improvement pre and post-surgery
- Workplace assessments